It is that time of year to dust down the Cookie Press and get baking these cutesy cookies. Spiced with ginger, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves, these crunchy, shaped morsels shout C-H-R-I-S-T-M-A-S.
Eaten undecorated, sprinkled with icing and sprinkles or simple dusted with sugar they will be popular with everyone. Add the fact they are wreath and tree shaped, some might say they are too cute to eat.
Not familiar with a Cookie Press? For me, this little kitchen gadget is a fun, value for money little tool. It comes with numerous ‘stencils’ to create bite-sized cookies of varying patterns (stars, flowers, bears, butterflies – you get the picture). By using the Cookie Press, you can create professional looking, equally sized cookies in large batches, for any occasion.
These Spiced Spritz Cookies are super easy and quick to make, perfect when time is short at the busy time of year. Enjoy!
- 250g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g soft brown sugar, light or dark
- 1 egg
- 330g plain flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon all spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Icing sugar for dusting (optional)
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
- 2-3 teaspoons milk, or lemon juice (enough to create a drizzle to your liking)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, or Gas Mark 4. Prepare two baking trays by lining with parchment. Prepare the Cookie Press by selecting the design of your choice.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, ginger, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves in a bowl and set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat until well combined. With the mixer on slow speed, add the flour, a large spoonful at a time. Once completely combined, fill the Cookie Press with the first batch of dough.
- Press the cookies onto the lined trays and space equally. Re-fill the press when required and press further cookies.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, turning the trays half way through the bake. Allow to cool on a wire rack and repeat if you have further cookie dough.
- Allow the cookies to cool completely. Serve plain, dust with icing sugar, or drizzle with icing and decorate with sprinkles.
- Store in an airtight container.
Tip! Load the dough into the Cookie Press by using a medium-sized ice cream scoop.
Source: Adapted from a Wilton Recipe