I have included this homemade basil pesto on my gluten-free pizza so here is the recipe.
Its very simple to make, great on pizzas, stirred through pasta and baked on fish or chicken. Its keeps for up to two weeks in an airtight jar in the refrigerator and above all, its delicious.
- 30g fresh basil leaves
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- Freshly ground black pepper, for seasoning
- Course sea salt, for seasoning
- 40g Parmesan, grated
- 5 tbsp. olive oil
- Wash and drain the fresh basil leaves and place in a food processor.
- Add the garlic, salt and pepper seasoning and parmesan to the blender. Add 1 tbsp. of olive oil and blend.
- Add a further 3 tbsp. of olive oil to the mixture and blend further until the pesto becomes a lumpy paste.
- Season further to taste, if required.
- Spoon the pesto into a sterilised jar. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil to the top of the pesto to prevent it from drying out. Screw the lid on the jar tightly.
- Store in the refrigerator.
- Keeps for up to 2 weeks.
Source: Adapted from Lynda Brown’s ‘The Preserving Book’