Flavoured sugars are easy and quick to put together. Admittedly they will need a few weeks for the flavours to infuse completely but if you are a keen baker these are a worthy addition to any store cupboard. Also, they make a welcome and useful gift to any avid baker. Just present in a lovely jar, or tin, and add ribbon!
There really is not much science to making flavoured sugars. Basically, you can use any sugar, caster, granulated, golden caster and infuse with either lavender, cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks or vanilla pods. Whatever you have available, or whatever you want to use.
As you can see I have shown a lavender infused sugar. I also have some cardamom infusing at the moment. The smell is absolutely divine! I cannot wait to use it.
- 1 No. sterile jar, with lid
- Sugar of your choice, caster, granulated, golden caster or demerera
- Culinary lavender, or cardamon pods, or vanilla pods (2 or 3), or cinnamon sticks (2 or 3)
- Take one sterile jar with a lid.
- Pour your chosen sugar into the jar.
- Add your chosen infusion. The quantity to suit what you have available, or your palate.
- Secure the lid and shake.
- Allow to infuse for approximately 3 weeks to gain the full benefit of the flavoured sugar.
Source: The Contented Baker