Everyone likes a thumbprint cookie, right? So let’s talk about this Chocolate and Lime version…
So what do we have…? A cocoa-based basic cookie dough, centred with a giant dark chocolate button and topped with a zesty, good quality lime curd. Still warm from the oven, these have a soft chocolate and lime centre with a crunch of the surrounding cookie. Chocolate and lime are such great flavour companions, in my opinion.
These thumbprints are a quick flavoursome cookie, perfect with a cup of tea or glass of milk. Enhance the flavour further by using good quality dark chocolate buttons (I used 71% cocoa) and a branded lime curd.
By all accounts these are a fun, easy bake to do with children yet will be enjoyed by kids and grown ups alike.
PS. In attempt to post these before Halloween ( I was going to have a fun, play-on-words with them ‘Chocolate S’lime Thumbprints’) I added a little green food colouring to the lime curd (seen in photo of unbaked cookies). However, this was purely experimental and is not needed to create these great little cookies.
- 220g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 225g unsalted butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
- 100g large dark chocolate buttons, or chopped, dark chocolate
- 140g good quality lime curd
- zest of 1 lime, grated, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, or gas mark 4.
- Mix the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar in the bowl of a freestanding mixer. Add the egg and vanilla paste and mix further.
- Add the flour/cocoa mixture in phases mixing well after each addition. Beat together until thoroughly combined.
- Prepare baking trays by lining with parchment. Use a regular tablespoon, or a small ice cream scoop to portion the dough. Roll each portion of dough in the palm of your hands to form little balls. Place the balls, equally spaced onto the baking tray, allowing space for the cookies to spread.
- Press the centre of each dough ball with your thumb to form an indentation. Place a chocolate button in the centre of the dough ball and top with lime curd. Repeat for all the cookies.
- Bake the cookies for about 8-10 minutes, turning the trays half way through the bake. Once the lime curd starts to bubble a little the cookies are ready. Be careful not to burn the curd.
- Allow to cool initially on the baking tray and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
Source: Adapted from The Contented Baker’s Thumbprint Cookies (originally adapted from Cheryl Day and Griffith Day’s ‘The Back In The Day Bakery Cookbook’